Saturday, July 18, 2009

There's Always Gonna Be Another Mountain

Hannah Montana aka Miley Cyrus is not supposed to be for me-kinds. More for the teeny boppers. I refuse to count the years I am past that stage...but before I start hyperventilating..shush.

Back to Hannah Montana. While in conversation with a friend, we were discussing my career or lack of it. I mentioned that I wanted to move on to more challenging opportunities. I love what I do but everyday now seemed like a 'been there done that' kind of day.

Friend: "You are looking for another mountain."
Me: What mountain?
Friend: You should listen to this song that has been playing on all the radio stations. Called "The Climb".

Me and google met (I like to think we are made for each other).

Me: Did you know this is a Hannah Montana song??
Friend: Really? Doesn't sound like her kind of song.
Me: Exactly. This is great. I can totally understand Sheryl Crow singing this. But Hannah Montana? Wow!

Since that day I have been listening to this song and passing it along.

I absolutely love the richness of meaning in the melody. I could frame the lyrics and pin it up on a wall.

Since that day, this has been like an anthem. I never thought of myself in the same mold as a 'climber' - which got me thinking. For me, it has always been more about the journey than the destination. The quest, more than than the achievement. A sudden realization. An Epiphany.

Trust me, I listened to lots of other Miley Cyrus songs. I did not find any that appealed to me the way this song did.

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be a uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb


Cannot seem to get enough of this song - and that is a good thing.

1 comment: